History

On January 1, 1855, a group of residents in East Woodstock, Connecticut formally met to “establish a society for improvement of the mind.”[1] On January 9, 1855, the Constitution and By Laws were read and adopted, and an Executive Board formed to establish the East Woodstock Literary Association. The association’s objective was to “diffuse useful knowledge and encourage organized investigation by means of Essays, Declamations, Debates, Lectures, and a Library.”[2]

Persons could become members by signing the association’s constitution and paying an initial fee of one dollar and an annual fee of fifty cents thereafter. Clergymen and teachers were allowed free memberships. Meetings were held in the Brick Hall, a building which today exists as part of the East Woodstock Congregational Church.

The first librarian, Caleb May, Esq., was chosen at the February 13, 1855 meeting. Also at that meeting, a committee of three persons was elected to choose books for the library. At a subsequent meeting on February 21, 1855, it was voted to appoint a committee of three persons to solicit funds for the purchase of books.

It appears from the records that early meetings were indeed centered around declamations, lectures, and debates concerning issues of religion, morality, and public policy. After 1860, it appears that, either meetings no longer centered around these types of discussions, or perhaps such discussions were no longer recorded in the meeting minutes or held outside of library meetings.

At the meeting on January 8, 1872, it was voted that the word “Literary” in Art. 1st of the association’s Constitution be changed to “Library.” It was also voted to move the library to the building that housed the village Post Office. However, throughout the years until the association established a permanent home, the association’s meetings and book collection circulated from different homes.

The East Woodstock Library Association filed to incorporate as a library in the State of Connecticut on August 16, 1929. At this time, there was a new charter, and new by laws were adopted.

On November 4, 1929, Henry and Flora Baker deeded a parcel of land in East Woodstock to George May. On December 17, 1929, Mr. May then deeded to parcel to the East Woodstock Library Association, Inc. On that land, east of the common in the East Woodstock village, across Prospect Street, would be constructed a beautiful colonial style brick building. In May of 1930, books were moved into the new building, and books began to be circulated from that building on August 19, 1930.

The May Memorial Library, given by George Henry May, was dedicated on October 2, 1930. Many May family members were in attendance at the event, among them Miss Julia May who had served as Librarian and Treasurer from November 22, 1889 to November 20, 1893. During her tenure, she had lamented to her nephew, George Henry May, that she wished the library would one day have a permanent location. At eighty-nine years of age, she was present to witness the dedication ceremonies and look with pride upon her nephew as the benefactor. He dedicated the library in memory of his parents, William and Anna May.

The East Woodstock Library Association, Inc. continues to operate from the May Memorial Library, having greatly expanded its collection, services, and programs through the years. However, the objectives of the original founding members remain the same: to improve the mind, encourage free thought and open discussion of issues, and provide a safe space for all ages to enjoy literature.

[1] Record of the proceedings of the East Woodstock Literary Association, as recorded by Carlo May, January 1, 1855

[2] Constitution, Art. 2nd of the East Woodstock Literary Association, as adopted on January 9, 1855